Monday, March 21, 2005

My first wood firing

I got to see (part of) my first wood firing at Gulf Wars. Anyeta built a Roman bottle-type kiln. I helped a little with the construction and took lots of pictures. Here we go:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The kiln was in the Early Period Life area of the site. I hate I got the car in the background.

A view of the shelves and support:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fully loaded (this was all there was to fire):
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

View of the cones and draw rings through the peephole:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The taller it got, the scarier it got:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

View from a distance. You can see the Viking longhall in the background:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The firing begins. The chimney says "Cone 06 or Bust Gulf Wars XIV." I think it eventually hit 2000 degrees Fahrenheit - around cone 04!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

With a flash:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No flash, you can see the firebox area and the flames coming out of the chimney (that's Mistress Anyeta standing and watching):
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My favorite picture:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I didn't make it back for the unloading, but it looked like only a couple of pieces broke. That's good, considering most of them were made during the week and some were only a little past leather hard. I don't know how the cones melted (07. 05, and 03), but I hope to talk to Anyeta soon and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment